Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"¿Pasas más tiempo en el micro que con tus amigos?" "Sí."

Yesterday was one of the longest days of my life. I woke up at 5:30 to leave the house at 6:30 so we could get to school at 7:30 and stand in line until 9:00 then register for classes. Doesn't even that part sound exhausting? It was.  However, it was worth it because I got all the classes I wanted (at the time). I am enrolled in Realidad Social Peruana, Cine (Theater), Ecoturismo, y Historia del Mundo Antiguo y Medieval.  However, I realized later in the day that I don't need that history credit like I thought I did, and I have missed the first three classes for that course and it's four credits and I don't know anyone in it so it's going to be hard to catch up. I am now trying to switch back into a class called Etnicidad y Mestizaje. I went to it last week, and although it was not very great, it seemed fairly easy and a couple girls from my house are taking it. I just want to get this scheduling b.s. done with. So I'm headed into school soon to figure it all out.

After that I should have just gone home because it was 10:30 in the morning and I didn't have class until 6:00 pm, but instead I stayed on campus. I had lunch with some friends and my brother Mauricio and that was fun. Then Colleen, Leia, Kelly and I went to the mall to look for some things and otherwise waste time.  Kelly ate ice cream without remembering she didn't have Lactaid pills with her, and then began to feel ill. For some reason she thought fried chicken would help so we went to KFC. We ate A LOT. I wasn't even hungry! About 20 minutes later when we started walking back to school we both started to feel TERRIBLE.  It was not fun. Quotes from the day include "We are going to need to pick up the pace ladies" "I think I might have to make another stop at the bathroom before class" and "I think I might have to make a stop at my grave before class"  Blech.

Then we had class, and sat on the side of the room so any of us four could easily escape to the bathroom should need be, as all of us were feeling icky by this point. Our genius plan resulted in me not being able to see the projector and not taking any notes for the entire 2 hours. What a waste.

FINALLY, we had our first salsa class! None of us wanted to go, as we were all completely exhausted, sick, and kind of nervous. It ended up being very fun! I have taken a few salsa classes in the states so I know the basics, and it was pretty much just that stuff. It felt good to know what I was doing. I only wish I could say the same for all my partners. Most of the boys in our class SUCK! And salsa is a very hard dance to do without a strong lead. Hopefully they will improve, because us four gringas had to be leading our men around the whole time. Oh well...

After an hour long ride home on the combi I finally went to bed feeling like complete crap. I didn't know if it was just exhaustion or if I'm finally getting sick, but after waking up today I'm afraid it might be the latter. I am worried because the girls and I are in the process of planning a big weekend trip, so I hope I'm feeling well enough to attend. Vamos a ver...

Title quote: this was written on the back of a bus yesterday morning. It means: "Do you spend more time on the micro (bus/combi) than with your friends?" I saw it and was semi amused and semi frustrated that my answer could be yes. Frickin combis...

Word of the day (Note: this one is written by my other Peruvian brother, Benja, because it describes him, mas o menos, and it was his turn to pick. As he spent a whole day thinking (maybe) and didn't pick one, our sister Meli picked it for him): PELUCÓN: is a guy that has very long hair, and really mess up.

:) ¡Mi familia es la mejor!

No comments:

Post a Comment