Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"En serio, ¿cuantas personas?" "Dieciséis"

Okay, okay. I know I said I would spend less time on the internet, and I broke my promise today. However, I think I deserve a chance to explain. I didn't have class until 6 pm today, and had absolutely NOTHING to do. I woke up around 10 and ate breakfast (the breakfasts here are kickass, by the way. Yesterday we had chocolate pudding. It wasn't actually chocolate pudding but it tasted like it and I am now in love and waiting impatiently for the next time my mom makes it. Yummm...) and I tried to read one of the books my mom gave me last night. After two pages and countless words looked up in the dictionary I was tired. I went back to bed until 2:30. :) I woke up, had a slow morning, did spend a little time on the internet (not much I promise!) and went to school early. I found a couple other exchange students and we chatted for an hour before my class de "Eco-Turismo" began. 

This will be my favorite class. I am calling it now. It is pretty much exactly what I am studying at home (in terms of environmental studies courses that I love) but a side of the issue that I have never studied and in another continent, so the issues are different. I can't wait! The professor speaks very VERY fast, but because I am interested in the material (and it is my only class on Tuesdays) I am focused and can understand almost everything. I was very happy after class! I then had an interesting ride home on the combi with two other exchange students, and afterwards I ate a nice dinner with my family and hung out for about an hour around the dinner table. I love it here, so much. I keep learning more and more. For example: 16 people live in my house. Yup, 16. I didn't know this until tonight. I still have not met 2 of the girls. Our house doesn't even look very big, at all, but there are 16 bedrooms here! It is crazy! (And for all of you gringos out there--this is what the title quote refers to :D) It is still a bit strange to me to be living in a house with this many people, but as of now I haven't found one thing I don't like about it. Life is good!

THE SUN CAME OUT TODAY! And it made me happier than you can imagine. I took pictures :) I am beginning to feel like I belong here and actually know what is going on. After two solo combi rides that turned out successfully, I am becoming more comfortable with the idea of really living here. I got a little lost this morning but it ended up fine, and I found another park close to my house on my way! It must have been meant to be. The beauty in Lima is exposing itself everywhere I turn, now that my eyes are open.

Word of the day: MIERDA This one is funny. Tonight, for some reason, the topic of swear words came up at the dinner table. Our hilarious host dad Tito told us that he needed to give us a lesson in swears, or lisuras, and we had lecture number one tonight. The word he taught us was mierda, which apparently means something along the lines of shit. (This is ironic because this morning I was reading my young teen novel and encountered this term and tried to look it up in my dictionary. My frustration with the lack of an entry in my Merriam-Webster pocket translator turned into laughter this evening) Tito informed us that random people at school might just say "Ándate, mierda." for no apparent reason. (Get out of here you shit, essentially) I don't really know why someone would say this to me, as I never talk to the Peruvians anyway because they scare the shit out of me. Anyway, Tito's advice was to simply respond: "Tú también." (You too) I am almost hoping this happens to me sometime so I can use his suggestion and see how it works out for me. I'll keep you updated. Lesson number two in swearing in Spanish is tomorrow, so expect the word of the day to be another lisura. :)

p.s. As of now, it appears as if my school schedule will be as follows:
Mondays: 3-8
Tuesdays: 6-8
Wednesdays: 2-8
Thursday: No class
Friday: No class

Have I mentioned lately that life is good?

p.p.s. I have one picture from the weekend to share. My friend Kelly posted it online...it is of me and her overlooking a beautiful view of the ocean in Parácas...very mermaid-esque. You can't see that much of the view, but I'll post more of those pictures later. Mostly I just think my hair looks baller :) Enjoy!

Photobucket

1 comment: