Saturday, August 22, 2009

"I had to shower my ass"

Friday was great, as usual. Colleen, Kelly, Leia and I went to an Indian market for awhile to look around and shop. It was great! Sooo many awesome Peruvian things there, I am positive I will buy lots of my gifts to bring home there or somewhere similar (as there are many many markets like this all around Lima, and Peru for that matter) I bought a big colorful bag to bring to school as it is not very safe to wear a backpack here, and I wanted to look a little more Peruvian :) I had to barter though, which I have never actually done and I don't think I was very good at it. However I got the price lowered from 30 soles to 25 (which is about $8, not bad huh?) I was pleased!

Then we went to school to pay for our dance class, and found out (to our dismay) that the lady in the dance office had posted a sign about four pathetic American girls needing dance partners and within a day they had found partners for all of us. We were supposed to be pleased but we felt pretty horrible because we had to go home and let our brothers down. But it turned out to be fine, I am just a bit nervous to see what kind of guys would sign up for such a task. I have to dance with this guy every week for the whole semester, whether or not he's a creeper! I'll keep you updated.

(Quick side note, I think I am slowly beginning to think in Spanish because I just started thinking and writing this paragraph in Spanish!!)  We came home and hung out for a bit before getting ready to go out. I took a taxi with my brother and sister (I have begun calling everyone in this house my brothers and sisters, as they have begun to feel like that to me) to Miraflores, one of the fancier districts in Lima. We were going to go to a party, but it ended up being lame so we just went into a random club and it turned out INCREDIBLE! We just danced and danced and danced. Salsa, reggaeton--you would have LOVED it Martha! :D The men here are kind of crazy (as in shameless and relentless) but it was more funny than anything. I learned some new moves and had a ball.

Title quote refers to my dear, anonymous housemate who got a bad case of traveler's diarrhea on Friday. She came into my room looking defeated and said "I'm not going to go into it, but oh my god I just had to run home from the combi to...go to the bathroom" So much for not going into it, because the conversation ended with the title sentence. It was hilarious, I felt so horrible for her but there was no way I couldn't laugh.

Word of the day: SENDERO Trail/footpath. I think this is the right word, I just looked it up in my dictionary because me and some of my friends are dying to go hiking and camping here and never know the words to talk about it. The good news is my dad Tito was telling me all about the beautiful hiking people can do in Huaraz, for one, two, five, ten days. I am so excited! And we actually might be visiting Huaraz this weekend :)

1 comment: