Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"¡Es martes! ¡Sí, mañana es miercoles!"

Today was wonderful. I woke up late, ate a breakfast of some sort of eggs and breadish kinda stuff with something sort of like oatmeal. It was good. And lunch/dinner was this delicious vegetable chicken rice thing. I don't know what it was called but I ate all of it.

There are seven other students living in this house, along with the three Peruvian kids and my parents. It is like a big palace, a maze even (seeing as I have yet to see more than half of the house). When I walk out my door, I am outside (sort of). The stairs from my room to the main areas (kitchen, family room, etc) are in an outdoor courtyard, with lots of plants and trees, a beautiful bar and grill and a cute little pond with fish. It's so wonderful. I love just getting a breath of fresh air when I leave my room, despite the fact that it's cold and cloudy and misty and altogether not that beautiful right now.  It's just nice to not be so closed off from the outdoors.  That is something I relished about New Zealand too.

Tonight I went to a jazz club with five of the other students in my house and my two host sisters. It was fun, I tried PISCO for the first time--¡qué rico! :D Meli wanted to go dancing, but I have orientation at 9 so for once I said no. I came home and Tito (host dad) was outside singing karaoke in the courtyard with his friend. At 11:30. The title of this entry is a snippet of my hilarious interaction with him. I love living here.

Word of the day: MARACUYA  I think it is passionfruit. I'm still not quite sure.  But whatever this mystery fruit is, I will tell you this much, if your host mom ever offers you fresh juice from it (that she made in front of you) DO IT! It was the most delicious juice I have ever ever tasted. mmmmmm...

2 comments:

  1. 2 dusty things u will appreciate/understand
    a)when i read the word "relished" (last sentence, paragraph 2), i instantly thought of a hot dog
    b)when i read "passionfruit" (first sentence, paragraph 4) passionfruit smirnoff came into my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. im sure u figured it out but the above user is me, moona. i had to sign in to my old ass AIM screen name to be able to post? AIM..really? are we back in '95?

    ReplyDelete