I ended up meeting up with four girls from Madison in Houston, and we got lunch together before we left for Lima around 4. It was a relief to see familiar faces and laugh/stress over shared fears. I can tell I will be counting on these girls as a great support system over the next few months.
So then I board the plane for Lima, and I find myself lodged between two OLD peruvians. (I was under the impression that they were married for the first half of the flight, turns out they had never met. Whoops.) It seems someone or something was sending good things my way today, as the woman next to me, Sylvia, ended up being a total angel in disguise. We talked almost the whole flight, we helped each other and shared laughs and stories. (All in spanish mind you--I am so proud!) She has Parkinson's and can't write, so I filled out her customs forms for her, which was an adventure in itself. Arturo on my other side got in on it, and hilarity ensued as two old, hard-of-hearing Peruvians leaned way over me to discuss every little aspect on all of our forms and passports. I was sandwiched between the people and dialect of my new country and the smile on my face was wide.
Sylvia gave me a lot of advice, and the fact that I knew enough spanish to help her fill out her forms and also translate the requests and questions of the flight attendants was relieving and refreshing. I really CAN do this whole spanish thing! When we touched down in Lima I looked at her: "¡Estoy tan nerviosa!" And as she smiled at me she pointed up and told me to count on God, he would protect me and help me through my journey in Peru. And at this point I'm feeling pretty good about her words, I can tell that this is all going to go well. Así, gracias a usted, mi Sylvia de Chiclayo. Sus palabras son importantes a mí, y voy a recordarle para siempre.
I was greeted with hugs and kisses by Nancy y Tito, and after an interesting ride home I now sit in my small cozy room wondering what to do next. Sleep, hopefully, if my mind can stop racing with excitement and questions. Tomorrow I will run errands and try to get some pictures of my ADORABLE house to share with all of you.
I think I can safely say my first day couldn't have gone any better.
¡Besos para todos!

:) I'm glad things went well. how much swearing was there when you found out your flight was at 9? LOL
ReplyDeletealso, i just imagined your brother joking about your grandpa with the water glass ant Nessun dorma for half of this entry. you know why. TERRIBLE. HILARIOUS> SICKENINGLY HILARIOUS