The past couple of days have felt to me like what I assume that day nearly 20 years ago felt like to my father. Big, important, crucial, life-changing. By some incredible stroke of luck I ended up in a wonderful education class here where I am learning about all the overwhelming issues surrounding the educational system in Peru. I was assigned to research the problems surrounding children and education in this country that I currently call home and write a report about it. After hours of reading about the frightening poverty and malnutrition rates, extremely low quality of education and everything that goes into making it that way, I began to become increasingly moved by what I was learning. On top of all of this, I went with a friend from class to volunteer on Sunday morning. We drove a mere 20 minutes away from my house and arrived in a very poor area where we were immediately swarmed by beautiful, poverty-stricken children who wanted as many hugs and kisses as we were willing to give. I spent three hours playing with the littlest ones, coloring with them and distributing snacks, playing games and teaching them words in English. The whole experience was just like my year working in a daycare, except with children who will never in their lives have the opportunities I have had. Opportunities that I take for granted such as high-quality education, clean clothes, fresh water, abundant food, the list goes on and on. Working with children is different when you know their future is not bright. It is heart-breaking to see these amazing creatures of potential and beauty, with their whole lives ahead of them, and know in your heart that all odds are against them in this world. All of these things have been swirling in my head and I have come to the conclusion that I have, for reasons I will never understand, been blessed enough to be given the opportunity to receive a world class education. I now am beginning to wrap my head around the fact that in three years when I graduate from UW-Madison with a degree in education I will be something that millions of children all around the world desperately need. This is an awesome responsibility. A privilege. I am discovering it with excitement, fear, and a deep sense of humility. What this means for the rest of my life, what I will do with it, where I will live, who I will work with, impact, help, is all still unknown. All I know is that my eyes have officially been opened and I know that I will never be the same. This, my friends, is so much bigger than I can ever tell you.
Today I wish I could tell my father about my very own watershed day. I know he would understand how important this is for me, and I'm sure he would be proud. He, too, was passionate about education and, of course, always very invested in helping people in need. Dad, I hope that somehow you are watching and can enjoy this big time in my life with me. I love you and miss you!

No comments:
Post a Comment