Sunday, September 20, 2009

Life Update

Things here are grand, as always. I figured it was time to let everyone know what's new in Lima. I am in a list kind of mood tonight so...

a. I returned to the Body Worlds exhibit a week ago. My dream man was not there. I was bummed, but Leia convinced me to give my number to another med student to give to him (I was too chicken, so she did it for me). Somehow, it worked! He called me and we went on a date last Thursday. It was wonderful! We just went to get coffee at 6 o'clock and I ended up not coming home until 1:00 am! We walked around all night, talking in English and Spanish and I had so much fun! He was very polite and quite funny. I'm not quite sure what will happen as of now, but I have another date with him tomorrow-just lunch because I'm leaving in three days for Trujillo and I'll be gone for awhile. 
b. I have started a scrapbook! It is so fun and relaxing, and I'm really happy and proud of myself for actually doing it. As of now I am catching up on the last month, pasting tickets and bits and pieces I have collected from my travels on the pages and coloring with crayons, writing little anecdotes, etc. I plan to start actually using it as more of a journal too once I finally get caught up. It has really brightened my life this week!
d. Today I went on a class trip for Ecoturismo. We drove about an hour and a half out of town and went on a beautiful hike to learn about the tourism in this small community. It was fun, gorgeous, refreshing to breathe clean air, and really great to get to know some classmates a little better. I really didn't like the professor before today, but he ended up being cool and thankfully my outlook on that class is improving.
c. On Saturday I went to Parque de las Fuentes with my friends and it was very beautiful and romantic. I loved it! I can't wait to bring my mom there. Which brings me to...
d. My mom is coming to visit in December! We are going to do Machu Pichu together which should be really great. I can't wait for her to see my place and I am happy to help her get the opportunity to visit a new continent. You won't regret it Momma! (Plus I can't wait to feel so smart by being her translator! :D)
e. I decided tonight that I was wasting far too much time here, and as I have become very preoccupied with the children here I created a 'project' in my head that I am going to undertake. Every year hundreds of children in the highlands of the Andes (around Puno and Cusco...where Machu Pichu is located) die from the cold. I know how to knit, and I have free time and financial resources to buy cheap yarn and at least make some scarves or blankets. As soon as I mentioned it in my house multiple people spoke up and said they'd like to join me. This inspired me to get the word out more. I now have Colleen, Kelly, Leia, Alison, my mom, and my sister's friend Jillian in on the project (the last two being Wisconsin residents. People are helping from all over the place!) I am really touched by everyone's instant support! Leia doesn't know how to knit and I'm excited to teach her, and it will be nice to have something to do and also give back. We will knit all we can in the next two and a half months, and then my mom will bring the American contributions in December and we will bring them with us to Puno so we can deliver them to the children there. From there, I think I will stay for a week or so to volunteer with the kids, return to Lima for Christmas, volunteer in Lima for a week, celebrate New Year's with friends (/Luis?), then head to the rainforest for my last week and a half to volunteer. I'm excited about this voluntourism plan because I really want to give back while I'm here, I don't really have anyone to travel with in those weeks, so this way I will get to see very different areas and help a lot with my free weeks! I honestly cannot wait! I have spent all night looking up and contacting different organizations to try to make some sort of plans and arrange things ahead of time. I haven't been this excited for something in a long time!
f. I am going to Trujillo (city North of here on the coast) from Wednesday night to Monday morning for Peru's largest festival. It takes place there every year to celebrate Spring! Everyone we've talked to about it has said it's amazing, so I really can't wait :)

I hope you are all well!

No comments:

Post a Comment