Lesson 1: Meeting and Greeting
Meeting new people as well as seeing previous acquaintances in Peru involves a kiss on the cheek. The kiss occurs upon first meeting, and again when departing. This goes for friends at school, family members, old people, young people, acquaintances, best friends, everyone. It doesn't happen between two men, but as a woman I get kisses from just about everybody! This custom certainly isn't strange, as it is utilized in many countries and cultures. But for me it is out of the ordinary and I love it! I have had some awkward moments adjusting to it, and I have shared many laughs with my American friends about times we have totally botched this should-be-simple procedure. Anything from actually kissing the person on the cheek (which we have collectively decided is not correct form. It's more of a cheek touch and kiss in the air) to getting too close to a mouth or ear, to smacking your face too hard into the other person's and having a sore cheek for a few minutes, we've seen it all. I also have momentarily forgotten the difference in greetings here and gone in for a hug and then awkwardly missed the kiss. It really seems so simple, but it has taken awhile to perfect. All in all, it is one of my favorite aspects of Peruvian culture!


No comments:
Post a Comment