Monday, November 23, 2009

Realizations and Life Lessons

I have a lot to say on this subject, as the past 3 and a half months I have basically been learning something new and growing as a person every single day. However, the one thing that has really changed me and taught me the most has been falling in love with someone from a different culture. 

I don't know if I've ever really been in love before this, but at least from what I've heard it is something that really helps you grow and teaches you a lot about yourself and obviously about your relationships with those close to you. I believe that I have had the very special opportunity to experience all of this, but on top of the growth and learning that is to be expected with falling in love, I have gotten to learn all about a totally new culture through this process.  These are my conclusions so far, I hope (and suspect) my mini epiphanies will continue to happen for as long as I am with my wonderful Luis. 

I will start by saying that being with someone from another country is not easy. I am in love with Luis and absolutely adore my time with him, he is one of the most incredible people I have ever met and he is very good to me, and every day I find something new to love about him. But that doesn't mean that we don't get in our fair share of arguments. At least once a week we end up having a big 'discussion' about some sort of dispute or disagreement we have. But looking back I have realized they are always rooted in cultural differences, not anything one of us is doing wrong. At first this made me question if it was really possible to be with someone from such a different culture, but I can assure you this: he is way worth it. And truly, not a single one of our arguments has been detrimental to our relationship, every time I come out knowing more about myself, the way I think and my opinions, or how growing up where I did has affected me. I also learn about Peru, the culture here, and who Luis really is as a person with his own values that, yes, may be different than mine sometimes, but are not any less valid or legitimate. This has made me so much more open-minded, and as hard at is has been to realize this, I have learned that opinions are really just opinions and there is no right or wrong. So even though I believe something with all my heart, it is not necessarily correct. I have also come to see how much a product of our culture we really are. It's fascinating to see this at work in our lives. I have come to appreciate the differences between Peru and America, and get really excited to see them mixing and complementing each other in our relationship. I have not only fallen in love with Luis, but with Peru and its culture. I really couldn't have asked for a better deal.

All in all, being in love is the most incredible thing. I am constantly giddy and happy, and always always learning and growing. I try not to think about leaving Luis a month and a half from now, but I know that he has become important enough to me that we can make it work, and what is meant to happen will happen.

True love perseveres, right mom? :)

Go be in love all you wonderful people!

1 comment: