Friday, October 9, 2009

Another Day in Paradise

I've had an interesting couple days. Last night Lucho came over and I taught him how to knit.  Okay, I will preface this by saying that I know it's not good to play into stereotypes, but often times the whole "machismo" thing is NOT a stereotype with Latin American men. As if Luis wasn't perfect enough he officially proved he is not one of those many men. He seriously wanted to learn how to knit and is making a scarf for my project. He learned very quickly and his little red scarf is so cute! (Although he called me today to say that he somehow got from 16 to 21 stitches. Solo estás aprendiendo Luchito, puedo ayudarte!) Then, as we were hanging out in the dining room with Colleen, we saw our friend Jacqui in Alison's room, and Colleen got really excited to see her. She went outside to run upstairs to her room, and didn't realize the glass door was shut. We heard a loud bang and walked outside to see what was up, and there was blood EVERYWHERE! Luis, once again, was a godsend. He came outside and immediately started cleaning her up and helping her spit out blood and tip her head backwards. After we cleaned off her face it became very obvious she had broken her nose. It was pretty crooked, and Luis told me he could put it back into place for her if she wanted him to, as he had done it before. So, not wanting a crooked nose for the rest of her life, she agreed and he performed the procedure right there in her room. How a med student ended up being in our house at the very moment we needed him is beyond me, but someone must be looking out for us! I was very touched by how caring and helpful he was to one of my best friends, and let's just say if I didn't like him before there's no question about it now! We obviously decided not to go salsa dancing as we had planned after that incident, so we just stayed in and hung out. It was a very nice night :)

Today I got to talk to my sister  in Germany (FINALLY!) and it was really wonderful to tell her all my exciting news and to just hear her voice. I also got to hear the cute little boy who she watches (she's an au pair for those of you who don't know) and hear a little about her life too (even if it isn't quite as exciting as Peru, sorry dude!) Then I went to Miraflores with Leia and Kelly to get my nails done for the dance tomorrow. It was really fun to get pampered with my girlfriends and we had a fun afternoon together. Finally, tonight we went to a show of a group called Peru Negro, and it was a showcase of Afro-Peruano culture. There was singing and A LOT of dancing, and it was really quite beautiful. A lot of the moves reminded me of the African dance class I took at Madison, but I could definitely see the Peruvian influence too and that was interesting to watch. It was fun to do something a little more cultural instead of going out on a Friday. 

Tomorrow I might actually start studying (ojalá que sí) and then of course spend too much time getting ready for the big night! I am soo excited and can't wait to show you all pictures of my dress!

p.s. Anyone out there ever started really liking a new person and just feeling happy all the damn time? I can't wipe the smile off my face. And I notice things like a mom and her son practicing the times table while walking down the street. Thuggish looking teens helping old ladies off the combi. Life is so damn good :)

2 comments: