Thursday, December 31, 2009

Summary of Mi Vida Bonita

I have SO much that I have not written about; so many wonderful things have happened to me, I have seen new cities and sights, met new people, been inspired over and over, moved into a new house, celebrated my first Christmas with Luis and his family, finally gone in the ocean, said goodbye to great friends, and so many more things along the way. I will try my best to sum it up:

Mom's visit.
Coolest things I saw: Machu Picchu (claro); Lake Titicaca (so beautiful!!); huge amounts of donated warm clothing going to a girl's orphanage in Cusco (THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!); my mom traveling like a 20 year old college backpacker (hilarious and awesome--so proud of you mom!); my mom and boyfriend totally hitting it off (knew they would, but still makes me love him a million times more); mom and my 3 best friends in Peru also hitting it off (I'm convinced everyone in my life is far more incredible than I will ever know); mom eating guinea pig (you hate rodents!), cow hearts, raw fish, alpaca, etc. It was one of the most fun weeks of my life.
Good quote: "Your dad always wanted to come here. He would be so happy for us." -My mom, looking over the lost city of the Incas, aka Machu Picchu. We accomplished a dream of my father's I never even knew existed. That was pretty amazing.
Choice pictures: 


Week volunteering at Project Peru, a children's orphanage two hours from my house, on the outskirts of Lima in a town called Zapallal.
Coolest things I experienced: Beautiful children from horrible backgrounds taking care of each other and themselves, learning to be respectful, successful people; their awesome Christmas play and dance show; my boyfriend coming out to watch the Christmas show and interacting with the kid's (they loved him...but who doesn't?); three chocolatadas in one week (I have eaten more Paneton (Peruvian style fruit cake) and hot chocolate in the past month than you can imagine); our poor children giving even poorer children in their community Christmas presents, candy and hot chocolate (so little, but all those kids would get for Christmas); the look of sheer joy on the kids' faces by simply receiving a sucker and McDonald's type toy (can you imagine an American child rejoicing in getting only that for Christmas?); the incredible amount of joyful hugs and kisses I received (and gave!) every day (is there anything better?); the uncontrollable laughter of each and every child in that refuge.
Good quote (well two): 1. "Ser pobre no es ser sucio. Somos dignos." (Being poor is not being dirty. We are worthy.) One of the 'mothers' in the house gave the children this speech one morning at breakfast the day when they were leaving the home to go to a chocolatada. I loved the way they don't tiptoe around the fact that they are from poverty, and help the children OWN that part of their identity. We can be poor and still be clean, successful, happy people. 
2. "Navidad no es dar y recibir regalos. Es compartir lo poco que tenemos con los demas." (Christmas is not about giving and receiving gifts. It is about sharing the little that we have with the rest.) Enough said.
Choice pictures: 




Saying goodbye to the 3 best friends I made in Peru, and 3 of the most awesome people that have entered my life in a long time.
Best parts: Summarizing four months of amazing fun and adventure with four friends who I know will stick together forever; sharing our favorite moments of the semester with each other; laughing until our stomachs hurt; eating good food 'for the last time' together; discussing the next phase of our relationships together (I'm even living with Leia next semester-just found a great apartment really close to school for a great price-and right across the street from Kelly :D); crying big, genuine tears when saying goodbye, but knowing it's only temporary; feeling the love I have for these girls deep down in my bones.
Good quote: "Me has enseƱado. Me has apoyado. Me has cambiado. You brought my experience in Peru to life. Gracias." (You have taught me. You have supported me. You have changed me...) Okay, so it might be lame to quote myself, but it sums up the situation, and it's what I wrote on the first page of the journals I gave to all the girls.
Choice pictures: 




Moving in with Luis and his family.
Best parts: Being with Luis! (we're getting to know each other in lots of new ways, definitely getting on each other's nerves a fair amount but also having fun relaxing and goofing around), getting to know his family better (his mom is such a sweetheart); getting to spend and observe an important holiday in a new country and culture (fireworks at midnight on Christmas Eve? Cool!); falling more in love every day (nothing better).
One picture (more to come :D): 


HAPPY NEW YEARS! See you in 2010 :D
(side note: everyone here wears yellow (at very least yellow underwear) or New Year's. Interesting.)

2 comments:

  1. This is so great...I'm glad they're taught that way. That's how Americans should be taught too. I wish though, that their worthiness made the world more fair to them...we're really unworthy of the lucritive society we recieve for living (I don't feel comfortable acting entitled to it, so many people need it more than me). But then again, having money is a pretty shitty burden too, since that's what caused our development with unworthy practices in the first place...

    Julia, it's really great, I'm glad you went. I hope you're able to go back there soon!

    ReplyDelete